fAdmin is the setup, administration and configuration tool for all fSeries applications. There are seven different sections:
- Settings – general configuration settings, grouped by area and application
- Data Sources – configuration of setting for the sources of data available to fSeries
- Users – setup and maintenance of fSeries users
- User Groups – setup and maintenance of fRemoteUser Groups
- Data Group Types – configuration of the types of data group that fSeries makes use of
- Instances – setup of non-default configuration instances
- Plugins – setup and maintenance of data plugins used by fSeries
- fDocs Actions – setup and maintain actions available in generated documents
To use fAdmin, use a browser and go to your fSeries server and fAdmin (e.g. http://fSeries/fAdmin). You may be asked to login and you will require the Admin role to be allowed access.
Settings, Data Sources, Plugins and Data Group Types all offer you a choice of “instance” (if any have been set up).
An instance is a separate set of configuration settings that can be invoked when calling fSeries products. For example it may be as simple as having an alternative name for the system, or something as detailed as an alternative setup for a data source to point at two different databases.
An instance can only override configuration settings, not add to them, so in each section you will see how fAdmin reacts differently according to whether you have selected an instance and then if the instance overrides settings in the section.